You may have already been offering a form of diabetes education at your facility and are wondering about taking that next step. Getting accredited takes some time but is has several benefits that will increase the value not only to your organization, but to the individuals it serves.
Once accredited, Quality Insights will facilitate referrals to CarePortMD-affiliated pharmacies.
What are the benefits of accreditation?
- Most entities seek accreditation for one or more of the following reasons:
- To be able to bill Medicare for outpatient Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT)
- To put a structure around the services they are providing
- To market services as being of high quality and meeting national standards.
How do I know if my program is eligible to apply for accreditation?
A DSMT program is eligible for accreditation if it provides “out-patient” services that have fully implemented the National Standards for DSMES. The program must already be up and running and you must have taken at least one participant through your program from beginning to completion (based on your definition of completion). Your target population’s needs should be considered as you decide on your definition. If you can design your program to match your population’s needs as closely as possible, you will be more successful. Here are a few examples of definition of completion (best to base on attendance and not achievement of goals):
1. completed their individualized, agreed upon education plan
2. attended an individual assessment and at least 2 group sessions3. completed the initial assessment, all 4 group sessions, and one follow-up
The Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association is available to facilitate your pharmacy through the accreditation process, and provide continuing support once it is complete.
For more information: